Before beginning to install the wiring harness, there are a few things that I do to make the install work go much quicker and easier. Here's the short list:
- Place the motorcycle on the center stand.
- Remove the side covers
- Remove the battery
- Remove the starter (optional - may not be necessary)
- Remove the seat
- Remove the fuel tank
- Remove the four screws that secure the top half of the dash to the bottom half of the dash (applicable to the 850 T3 California, V1000 I-Convert, V1000 G5) - do not remove any wires
- Remove the trim ring and headlight from the headlight bucket
- If equipped, remove saddlebags and trunk
Before you remove the old harness, take detailed photos of everything. Pay special attention to how all of the wiring is routed. I do not have harness routing information for all models. Having photos of a real installation on your motorcycle is invaluable.
- Now you can remove all of the original harnesses that you are going to replace.