Moto Guzzi Ambassador
This is my 1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador. I finished restoring it in the late summer of 2003. The observant reader will notice in the photos that it appears to have an Eldorado engine case. In actuality, it is one of a relatively few Ambassadors that I've ever seen where both the frame and engine numbers match with a typical Eldorado engine case (it also has Bosch electrics). To the best of my knowledge, this set up was limited to Ambassadors manufactured in October of 1971 or later. Here is what I did to restore this classic:
- Cleaned everything...lot's and lot's of cleaning. More than I even want to think about...clean, polish, shine, buff. You get the idea. I became one with both my bench grinder's wire and buffing wheels.
- Had the following powder coated: frame, swing arm, side and center stands, top and bottom of triple tree, fork lowers, headlight ears, battery tray, top battery hold down bracket, battery hold bolts, front foot pegs, frame-to-rear brake drum stay, and seat pan. If I had to do it over again, I would not have powder coated the headlight ears.
- Had the bike professionally painted and pin striped. I was fortunate enough to find a local Minneapolis painter who did a marvelous job with both the paint and the pin striping. If you are looking for a painter in the Minneapolis area, contact Rob Reardon.
- Had both heads worked on. This included all new valves and guides.
- I painted the coil, starter, horn, breather, and parts of the generator myself with an aerosol spray can of wrinkle paint.
- I went through the front forks, cleaned everything up, and made sure seals would last a good while longer.
- I greased the swing arm bearings.
- I greased the steering head bearings.
- I cleaned and resealed the gas tank.
- I rebuilt both carbs.
- I replaced all of the ignition components (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser, and distributor advance springs).
- I went through the rear end, cleaned everything up, replaced seals and gaskets, etc.
- I went through both wheels, repacked the bearings and cleaned and greasing the brake related components.
- I replaced the tires, tubes, and rim liners on both wheels.
- I replaced numerous components that were either wore out, damaged, or not stock enough for my taste:
- new mirrors
- new front and rear turn signals
- new tail light lens
- new hand grips
- new driver and passenger foot peg rubbers
- new crash guards
- new cables (yes, all of them)
- new rear shocks
- salvaged front and rear fender reflectors
- salvaged single gauge dash
- new head pipes, cross-over, mufflers, and clamps
- new choke lever
- new wiring harness
- new battery
- salvaged starter button
- salvaged starter button mount
- new gas tank mounting rubbers
- new rear brake light switch
- new speedometer drive gear (in the transmission)
- new grab rails
- new civilian style handlebar