Brake cable replacement information
Moto Guzzi V700, V7 Special, Ambassador, 850 GT, 850 GT California, Eldorado, and 850 California Police models
What is so great about the Barnett front brake cables? In my opinion, several characteristics make them the best choice available today.
- The cable is thick.
- The individual strands are thin and numerous.
- The individual strands are wound in a more longitudinal direction along the length of the cable...rather than more cross-wise.
- The cable liner allows the cable to move smoothly.
- The barrel ends of the cable are separate from the cable ends...allowing the cable to rotate within the barrel end. This reduces the stress on the cable and extends the life of the cable.
- There is no brake switch! In my opinion, this is critical to getting adequate braking performance. No matter how good a person sets up a front brake, the presence of a brake switch in-line with the cable will always deteriorate braking performance at least a little bit. In my experience, the presence of a brake switch is a major contributor to poor braking performance.
- All this adds up to less stretch and more pull being transmitted to the front brake. In my experience, it makes a big, meaningful improvement.
Charlie Mullendore of Antietam Classic Cycle worked closely with Barnett to get a replacement brake cable made for his two-leading shoe front brake with civilian bars.
Please Note! Charlie Mullendore does not sell Barnett cables. Please contact Barnett directly.
Here is the information from Barnett and Charlie:
Most of the time we keep prints of the cables on file for future reference or it goes into a temporary file. If we have the information on the bike model so we know what the cable fits, we usually save it. We should still have the prints for your cables and I will make sure that we save it. It's never a bad idea to send the cable(s) just to make sure that the new ones are correct. If you can, let me know what the year and model of Moto Guzzi it was and I will have Joe attach it to the print for future reference. If you or any of your friends ever have a question about a cable, call us at 805-642-9435 and ask for Joe. If Joe isn't available, ask for Mark. They both work directly with the cable dept.
Barnett Tool & Eng.
I've sent all the information from the invoice and what models the same cable will fit. They've been a real pleasure to work with, prompt responses to my e-mails, great product, finished when they said it would be. I'll measure my old cable soon and post the dimensions if still needed also. Cheers