Thread locking compound recommendations
Moto Guzzi V700, V7 Special, Ambassador, 850 GT, 850 GT California, Eldorado, and 850 California Police models
Thread locking compounds made by companies such as Loctite or Permatex are wonderful products. For loops, only the generic red (high strength) and blue (medium strength) are needed. Moto Guzzis do not suffer from excessive vibration. The mechanical design and quality construction are such that parts simply do not vibrate loose and roll down the highway. This means that thread locking compounds are not needed for most fasteners. There are a few exceptions, however. Here is where I use thread locking compounds:
High strength (red)
- Sludge trap plug in the crankshaft
- Any time I install studs in the crankcase to secure the generator bracket to the crankcase.
Medium strength (blue)
- Flywheel to crankshaft bolts
- Crown wheel to crown wheel carrier bolts
- The special bolts that screw into the distributor housing on which the distributor cap retaining clips pivot.
- Field coil securing screws for the generator.
- Field coil securing screws for the starter.
- Solenoid to starter body securing screws.